Saturday, December 5, 2009

How is hip hop better than ballet?

One is not better than the other. It's all a matter of preferrance. People grow and people change. I used to listen to heavy metal when I was in my teens and early twenties, and then went on to love Hip Hop until I married and had a child in my late twenties. That is when I became addicted to country music. Now that I am in my late thirties, I enjoy classical, jazz, light rock, meditation music.



I also think that when you are younger your peers have an influence on what you listen to. I was taught years ago that "you become like the 5 people you are most often around." If they are negative and do nothing but gossip, then you will fall into their catagory and become their equal. If you like ballet, then God bless you for making your own choice.



How is hip hop better than ballet?getting late



more contemporary



How is hip hop better than ballet?regal theater opera theater



they are different styles, not different superiorities.
It's not. There isn't anything positive about hip-hop.
Well it depends on the person which is better. For me, I took ballet for about 11 years and I loved it but it was such hard work. I never worked so hard in my life. Hip hop comes so much easier for be being african american. But I love both
I love both!!!
Yes, it is more universal, anyone can dance hip-hop and can dance it anywhere. For ballet, you need to start young, keep practicing and you need special shoes!
its not! ballet is the best. if your good at ballet you have good technique and can pretty much succede in any kind of dance you want...
how isn't any type of dance better than ballet?
I don't think it's better, but the steps are less structured.
Both dances are so distinct, but if you like try fusing them together, such has performing a hiphop song using ballet technique.
it's all about having fun. it's got more moves. you just dance the way you like. ballet is more on concentration and it has it's basic movements.
Hip-hop and ballet are both very good types of dance and I love them both. But they are incomparable when it comes to which one is better. What you might mean is hip-hop is easier than ballet. There are a couple of reasons this may be true.



Firstly, ballet is far more structured and disciplined. It is true that the earlier you start, the better you will be but that goes for anything. Every move in ballet has a name and a certain way of executing it. Hip-hop on the other hand is less structured and you can easily make up your own moves (and name them too. ^_^)



Ballet requires quite a bit of strength in all parts of your body (legs, arms, core muscles, back--everything) to be able to do it really well. Hip-hop requires strength and fitness too though one could argue it is needed to a lesser extent because some hip-hop moves aren't as taxing.



But in the end the two are very different and there's no way to say which one's better. One last difference I'd like to point out just because I find it interesting: hip-hop requires much more subtle moves than ballet. Something my old dance teacher pointed out when we were learning a hip-hop piece was that we would have to work on the subtleness because we had been taught more balletic/contemporary styles and dances previously and in ballet you need to do big, clear-cut moves.
It's is like comparing apples to oranges. They are so different and unique it is not a fair comparison to place one against the other. one has it's roots in classical art, the other is a movement from several cultures that has been shaped by our dance contemporaries into a commercial art form.



You cannot compare apples and oranges, but you can prefer one over the other :)



My suggestion is to take both and see what you like about one or the other
My husband who is a historian would argue that ballet is inferior to hip hop. I, as an anthropologist would argue that they are both different and incomparable. But for sake of argument I will argue to opposite side.



Hip Hop Vs. Ballet Debate



Husband: Ballet is elitest and promotes eating disorder for girls



Wife: Ballet has a long international tradition and pedigree



Husband: Hip Hop is organic, creative, and is used as a expressive artform- can be used a "resistance" to outside forces



Wife: Ballet requires technique and a lot of training



Husband: Hip Hop is global and encompasses other things such as DJing, graffitti, spoken word, clothes, music, style, words etc



wife: Ballet uses all of your muscles and requires a lot of strength



husband: hip hop specifically breakdancing was used by urban youth in Harlem %26amp; Bronx to makeup for all the PE classes and afterschool programs that were cut.



wife: ballet is seen in such X-mas classics such as the Nutcracker



husband: hip hop is used in everyday activities but it just not valued the same. Hip Hop has spawned a generation; ballet has spawned overpriced lessons and stuffy venues



-------------------the end--------------



our five year old daughter continues to take ballet lessons while also doing free style hip hop moves at home and at J.U.I.C.E
in my opinion it is not. i like the classic style of dancing and i think we are forgeting about that. i like how graceful the dancers look. but if u are into comtemperary music then hip-hop is better. it is more up-beat. GOOD LUCK!
well i like both! :p
DUH! it isn't!!!!!
I do this thing called The Fluidity bar and it is soooo amazing! You get a dancer's body without being a dancer. It has a lot of sensual ballet moves.
They are too different to compare. Both styles are great!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ltd